Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Blogging potpourri

So I haven't written in a while...things have been a bit busy and I haven't really had the desire to write, though there have been plenty of things to write about. So, here's a quick review of blog worthy events, thoughts, and ramblings...

Thanksgiving:
It was one of the best I can remember having. Mom, brother, Jean and I spent a day of cooking, eating, a gaming. Jean and I totally kicked ass (not really, but we still won) at Cranium. If you're ever playing charades, pray to God that Jean isn't on your team. Even she blames herself for our initial suckiness. The food was great. I once reclaimed my title of Best Mashed Potatoes, and Jean will confirm that "I've outdone myself again". They were fucking delicious. Dinner was followed up by naps, pie, and a night of Tony Sims. Jean has pictures of the Thanksgiving Whore that we met at the MMC that night. She also has pictures of the man who danced with the mentally challenged woman. These drunk people had this poor woman out on the dance floor whipping her about...I hope she was having fun cuz she mostly looked confused. After dancing off and 1/8 of what we ate, it was time to head home and put Thanksgiving to bed.

Working retail the weekend after Thanksgiving:
Black Friday wasn't too bad for me. I lucked out and only had to work for 3 1/2 hours at Marshall Fields. It was pretty busy, but nothing horrific. Sunday night however, was a night from hell. Our thanksgiving sale (including doorbusters) extended thru Sunday. But the company didn't take that into consideration when scheduling. There were 2 of us...its a big department (bed & bath, china, housewares). The woman I worked with spent more time shopping than working. The customers were bitches and there were coupons involved. Coupons are never good. They make people CRAZY! I spent the whole night explaining that we were out of some things that were on such a great sale (Gee...you wait until the last hour of the busiest shopping weekend of the year and expect everything to be in stock?!?!). I had to tell 3 people over the phone that I couldn't take coupons over the phone...especially not for the $300 luggage purchase over the phone. If you can't manage to make it here over the course of the last 3 days, you don't deserve the sale...you're not a good shopper. And no I will not hold these items until Wednesday because you're in Texas for Thanksgiving. Ma'am you're actually calling me from Texas on your cell phone while you're supposed to be with your family! No! So yeah...I love retail! And I'm going to continue to love it for the next 4 weeks!

Being Fat:
Well, long story short, I'm done being fat. At least that's what I'm thinking now. I've sadly already begun the holiday weight gain trend and I'm going to try to nip it in the bud early...perhaps even work off last years holiday pounds. That's why (as of Friday's mail delivery) I will be the proud owner of a cardio kick boxing DVD (sure to knock my ass out) and a "Female Fat Zones" Aerobics tape designed to "help with those trouble areas of tummy, butt, hips, and arms". That DVD has no idea how much work it has ahead of it. These DVDs are in lieu of joining a gym which I realistically have neither the time nor the money for. Of course, when talking to a friend about my weight concerns (looking for advice) he tells me to "stop making excises and feeling sorry for myself". What a motivational tool! An asshole man telling me to stop whining and just lose the weight. But that's ok...I'm over it. And I'll show him by (hopefully) being in better shape by February without whining at all between now and then. Warning: Jean and Ryan, that means you're gonna get the brunt of my pain and frustration.

Well, other than that, not much else. Christmas of Swing opened at the History Theatre last weekend, and so far so good. Jean, Matt, and Chad saw it opening night...glad you all enjoyed it. Matt, I'm still waiting for that cake. Look forward to mare entries about annoying actors and gay men backstage saying things like "Shannon I want to show you something" and then unzipping their pants. God I love my job sometimes!

2 comments:

Jean. said...

Shannon--A few things:
1) I love you.
2) Despite me being a charades flat tire, we still won. That's what matters. I was having an off day. ... And I forgot what skateboarding looked like for that brief 2 minutes, sort of like when you have to give your intro in 4N6 and it is the ONE thing your brain can't wrap itself around. And, you did sort of look like a horse trying to count. What? You did.

3) I will send you the Sims pics soon. Downloading takes work, and I'm not all about that.

4)"Of course, when talking to a friend about my weight concerns (looking for advice) he tells me to "stop making excuses and feeling sorry for myself." I'm sorry. I have to KILL somebody. It just has to happen. What the fuck? (I was going to say "were you talking to David" because of my "David called me fat" blog, but really, David is a good person to talk to about this stuff now that I went on that rant. He'd tell you that you aren't feeling sorry for yourself, that you're beautiful, he'd be proud of you for any motivation that you had whatsover, he'd tell you pie was okay if you needed pie, and that sometimes it's the getting started that slows you down. Then he'd say that he loves you. That's what I say too, and I am assuming that it's what Ryan would say AFTER he told you his thighs are "fat," when they, in fact are not. But we all love you, and again, I can take "care" of things out on the west coast, if you know what I mean. I mean I will kill someone.

That tape sounds fun. Remember kickboxing in your room! The people downstairs: likely not happy. "I'd rather be bow-hunting!" Oh, Billy Blanks.

5)"and gay men [...]saying things like "Shannon I want to show you something" and then unzipping their pants." Yeah, don't pretend like this doesn't happen ALL THE TIME, especially when Ryan is in town. In fact, I think that's the first thing he says. Isn't that what he did at the airport last time we picked him up?

6) Where is Shannon O'Black? How is your "arch nemesis"? Pfft. Shannon O'Black. She wants to be like you SO BAD she had her name changed. Or wait, is it you alias?

C-Lover said...

Thank you for updating your blog. I agree with basically everything you said. I didn't do my workout DVD last night but I will do it tonight. We can do this together. And I will be more then happy to listen to your frustations about all of this. That's what friends are for. Plus, you know I am going to bitch about mine, so it's an even trade.

Oh, and I'm glad you still one the game, but remember that I will always be the best teammate/duo partner!