Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I'm a Duo Celebrity

This one is mostly for Chad and Ryan (does Chad even read this?) but Jean and Lance will be amused as well perhaps.
Last night I'm working at Marshall Fields, otherwise known and the joy of my existance, and I'm working in the Men's Department. I'm straigtening ties (something that sort gives me an odd satisfaction) and a woman wanders into the area.

"Can I help you find anything specific ma'am?"
"Well, I'm looking for ties for my son. He's on the speech team."

Ahh yes, High School speech team. Mom buys ties for son.

"Oh, that's great! I was on the speech team in high school and college."
"In college? Wow! what events did you do?"
"Oh, a little bit of everything."
"Well my son is in Duo. He and his partner went shopping this weekend to pick out shirts that would match. Now I'm looking for ties."

I was in heaven! Picking out ties for Duo partners? This is one of my gifts....right Ryan?

"So did you and your partner match your suits?"

Did we ever! Best dressed duo in the state (no offense Chad)

"Yes, ma'am we did. His ties matched my suit, our shirts coordinated...we matched."
"So how did you do? Were you good?"

This one sort of surpirsed me. Does it matter? It was years ago. My forensic skills do not affect my tie matching skills.

"Well, we were pretty good. We were statechampions twice and won some national awards too."
"Really? Oh my! That's wonderful. And I bet its so much harder in college! Oh gosh....my son will be so excited that a state dup champion was helping pick out his ties! Oh this is just wonderful! I can't wait to tell him. A state champion!"

I think this woman was more excited that when we won the state tourney! She was so crazy about it...it was pretty funny. So yeah. I must admit that it was kinda fun picking out ties with her for a duo team. They got some nice Kenneth Cole ties to go with a great Geoffrey Beene shirt. Kinda brought me back. But man, was she ever excited! I'm gonna be a minor celebrity to the Eagan Speech Team. Good luck Eagan!

2 comments:

C-Lover said...

I want a new suit and ties and shirts. I miss forensics so much. But that's why I am a loser!

Chad said...

Best dressed in the state? Whoa-HO, missy. Heather and I coordinated our outfits at LEAST once a semester. :)

Ah, high schoolers. So easily star-struck. Once, when I was judging a tournament, I heard two competitors speaking outside the extemp speaking round I was ranking.

"Hey, ya know your judge in there? I heard he was QUINTUPLE entered at the state tournament at college and got first in, like, FOUR of them or something."
"[dumbstruck silence] That's INSANE."

We'll just let them believe I had to get past region prelims and region finals in all five of my events to attend the state tournament. We'll just let them.