Saturday, October 01, 2005

Just in Time For Halloween: Build Your Own Coffin!

I'm not making this shit up! I saw it on the news...

The
North House Folk School in Grand Marais, MN teaches a variety of hippie/woodsy/crafty things. You can learn about herbal medicines, how to make a brick oven, how to make moose-hide mukluks, and how to drive fjord horses. There's also a class for Jean and I (and possibly David) called "Pie: the Lost Art". However, perhaps the most practical class of them all is "Build Your Own Coffin".

That's right! For the low price of $425 with a $250 tuition you can learn how to make your own pine box. To quote the North House Folk School; "None of us are getting out of this alive, so you might as well bury yourself in your work". They will measure you and teach you how to make the box yourself. If you have advanced woodworking skills there will be opportu
nity to put your skills to use...if you're a beginner, there are people there to help.

Does this seem weird??? The news story said it could be theraputic. I'm not so sure. I am sure this is weird: Until you're ready to put your piece to its intended use, you can use it as "as bookshelves, coffee tables, storage containers and entertainment centers". Ummm, do I really want to store my books or DVDs in something I will be spending eternity in??? I don't think so. But hey, who am I to judge? Just look at this lady!
She's ready to store all of her hot dish cookbooks and crochet instruction booklets in this finely crafted bookshelf. It just so happens to be measured to exactly fit her body! How convenient!

Thanks North House Folk School for making my final resting accommodations affordable, multi-functional, and home-made!

2 comments:

C-Lover said...

Yea...that's a little too wierd for me. If I am going to be working with wood, I will not be making a coffin (wink)!

Jean. said...

Ew, Ryan. Ew.

I'd totally do this. I don't know why yet, but I'm that weird.