Friday, May 26, 2006

Post-op recovery

Mom is doing ok...she'll be coming home later this afternoon. When I have the engery I'll blog about all the ridiculous things at the hospital. However, this post-op blog is about me. I'm trying to recover from the time with grandma thus far...and its not even over yet.

Initially we thought we'd go the hospital this morning and mom would come home early...around noon. But mom just called. Her calcium levels aren't high enough yet (due to nurses uanable to read instructions) so her doctor wants to wait a few hours. Mom won't be home til late afternoon and she asked us NOT to come to the hospital until she calls. No point in us sitting there for 5+ hours making her room hot and her sick. But, my grandma is pacing saying "we have to go...she can't sit there alone". And I'm like "well go then, but she asked us not to". And then there's dinner: I'm trying to offer to make things for dinner and she keeps turning it all down. then i find out that its because she doesn't think mom will eat it. Well if we only eat what mom can eat, we're having mashed potatoes and jello for dinner. Not necessarily a bad dinner, just not what i had in mind. So fuck it. When mom gets home we'll find out what she wants to eat. Grandma and Grandpa can do what they want and I can eat cheesecake for dinner....lots of cheesecake...and some vodka. Lots of vodka.

I know she means well. She's worried. She's trying to be helpful. But no, I will not hang towels in the windows to block out the sun. I know its warm. Leave the fans on...stop turning them off. And I know grandma is just trying to find something to do with her time. But saying we need to dust the house before mom gets home even though i just dusted on tuesday is not helpful. I know grandma dusts sher house everyday, but that's not normal.

I'm just looking forward to mom being home. I'm also looking forward to going back to work tonight and then again being there all day tomorrow. I'm really looking forwards to drinks tonight (it might even be a semi-date...at least I know I'm getting kissed).
Sorry for the rant...it needed to come out.

3 comments:

C-Lover said...

This post really made me laugh!

Oh Grandma...

Anskov said...

Hang in there, Shan.

(and I'm glad to hear your mom is doing okay!)

Shan said...

thanks AV! I appreciate the thoughts...

lets work together on this vodka cheesecake thing...we may have something there!