Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day...Stalker!

Well, this year may just have been the best Valentine's Day ever...not that I have many good ones to compare it too. I think I've only actually been dating someone once during Valentines Day...hmmm, sort of a sad existence! So anyway, Rachel, Matt, and I decided to head out for a singles night on this traditional night of couples. Rachel actually informed us that it's St. Valentines Day because on this date St. Valentine was in jail and wrote a love letter to Somone...is this true? I'm way too lazy to look it up. So, ultimately, February the 14th is celebrating convicts sending love letters?!?!? If this is the case, how in the world have I not received a letter from a sexy man in prison?

But, on to the night....We decided to unofficially start our Irish pub crawl and head to Keegan's Irish Pub, one that I've never been to. We head on over to NE Minneapolis for a night of Guiness (or Harp in my case), cigarettes, and commiserating. We get to the door of the pub and I notice a familiar name: "Live music by David Burkart 8pm" What? No way...must be some other musician named Dave Burkart in the cities. This couldn't possibly be my favorite member of the Tony Sims Band! So we walk in and the beautiful words to "Heart of the Matter" great us. Sure enough, its my man! After he gives us wink and a quick "hi" in the middle of his song, we take our seats a respectable distance away. At this point in the evening, I realize that we must look like total stalker...though I'm not sure I really care because we get to listen to Dave's acoustic music for a few hours! It was great...his voice is amazing...those who have heard it will agree with me...but its even better hearing him by himself for a few hours! "Voice like a bird" is correct Tony Sims!

Well, after a while Dave came to talk to us (but not before he played "Yesterday"). We told him we didn't know he was playing and he was apparently glad we had stumbled upon him. After playing with my box for a while, he told me he used to have one that he kept a thermos and hotdog bun in. Now wouldn't that be a great V-day...Dave playing with my box...but no, it was my Audrey lunchbox/purse. He seemed genuinely upset that I wouldn't be at the MMC this week (probably concerned that that's one less person to buy him shots)...and that I'd be gone all summer. He suggested starting a video conferencing from the MMC to Winona this summer. Speaking of Winona, Dave's brother goes to school there. AND...Dave has played at Shyde's before...poor bastard. I suggested that the band head down for a gig this summer and he thought it was a good idea. I should look into it! Oh...and we found out that, yes, he does have a girlfriend in Mexico and she's coming back in a couple of months. Oh...and how sad...she was sick yesterday:(. God I love Mexico! I mean what's not to love? Enchiladas, tequila, cheap hookers, and delicious water!

Anyway, that's the night in a nutshell...it was a good night...good drinks, good music, and true love! And Rachel and I are starting careers as Dave's backup singers...he doesn't know this yet, but we were singing harmony to everything he played. We could do our own choreography!

2 comments:

L-Kapitan said...

Hey Shan,
Sounds like you had a pretty sweet V-Day. Dave is the coolest. If I were a gay man...I probably still wouldn't date him. But I might enjoy his music even more. I just finished an Anti-Valentine's Day blog in honor of Mr. Clover and his birthday today. Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Later,
L-Kapitan

Anonymous said...

Ok so i scanned over your blog and found it somewhat amusing. However, by the end of it i can't help feeling like the invisable man in your life. Not to worry I will enjoy your punishment :)