Monday, January 24, 2005

The State of the Union

Well, it's almost been a week since George Dubbya was sworn in to his second term...joy of joys. Now, this isn't going to be an entry about my love for Georgie boy...no. But, when watching the early coverage of his inauguration I heard something that I had to comment on...it just took me a while to find time.

So, George Stephanopolis is discussing the day that the President has ahead of him and announces that they will be going live to the capitol steps. And there stands a very snappy looking reporter in his navy suit and khaki trench holding his little microphone. He says, "Yes George, the feeling here at the capitol is very strong. They're all feeling very triumphal...." Triumphal??? Don't you mean triumPHANT??? Now I realize that both words are adjectives and could theorhetically be used in the same way, but I'm pretty sure that the correct form of the word in this case would be; "They're all feeling very triumphant....". It just got me thinking that perhaps the people who are doing national correspondance work for a major news corporation would have taken a few english and public speaking courses...hey I know a few people who could help this man... Jean, Chad, Jess...you up to the challenge?

And then, as I'm signing on to yahoo to write this blog, I see a headline saying "Middle schools support national "No-Name Calling Week". Are you serious??? No name calling week? Screw that you big bunch of "lets try to make everyone feel good and behave" idiots! How's that for no name calling??? Aside from the simplistic name and the fact that no adolescent is going to take this seriously, shouldn't every week be no name calling week? Now I know that i can't get through 1 hour without calling someone a name, but we all know I am very weak of character. So this program started by the GLSEN group in NY and supported by the girlscouts starts this week. Apparently a lot of people are buying into the possibility of this working considering the long list of partners on the website.
http://www.nonamecallingweek.org/
Well, good for them...although schools in Colorado and Texas are already refusing to participate saying that it tells students they shouldn't discriminate against homosexual students. Of course, I'm paraphrasing here, but still...Colorado and Texas are certainly known for their tolerance of the GLBT community.

So...happy no name calling week bullies!

1 comment:

brainhell said...

Triumphal is perfectly correct here. It refers to celebrating a victory or triumph. Based on your familiarity with the history of Rome you would know that. If they had said "triumphant" I would think they were the typical media half-wits.