Monday, October 02, 2006

Retail Crazies

The crazies are out prowling the retail stores of downtown Saint Paul. I’m convinced that we’re close to a full moon and somehow that makes the crazies gravitate toward me at work. It’s like lunar tide pulls except with mentally unstable people….

3 days ago I was confronted with the oddest question I’ve ever been asked: “Do you hire people to sexually harass your customers?”

Let me start at the beginning:
A woman came up to the counter and asked to speak to a manager. I asked what it was in regards to so that I could contact the correct manager. She said that it was in regards to our sexual harassment policy. At this point I was concerned that perhaps something had happened to her.
“Ma’am have you been harassed in our store?”
“No. I just want to know what your policy is.”
“We have a strict no harassment policy here. What can I do for you?”
She launches into this story about some man who was calling her a “witch” and shouting anti-Semitic things at her in the Wells-Fargo Building. Supposedly, this man works for MNSCU who has an office in the Wells Fargo building.
“Ma’am I’m terribly sorry that that happened to you. I suggest that you talk to the security at Wells Fargo. If nothing happened in our store, our security can’t do anything.”
“But what if he follows me in here?”
“If you ever feel threatened in our store, find any employee and we’ll get our security involved.”

Here’s where it gets crazy:
“I have one more question. Do you have people here who sexually harass your customers?”
“What do you mean ma’am?”
“Well, do you hire people to sexually harass your customers?”
I’m dumbfounded
“No ma’am why would we do that?”
“I don’t know, why would you?”
Touché. I can’t answer that. Why would we? Then comes one last big question.
“Do you sexually harass people?”
WHAT?!?!?
“No ma’am I don’t.”
And I’m thinking if I did, she wouldn’t have been my first choice of targets.
I kindly asked the woman to leave at that point. WTF? Do we hire people to harass customers? Do I harass customers? It’s gotta be a full moon.

4 comments:

Anskov said...

That is quite possibly the strangest conversation I have ever read.

(However, for the record, Marshall Fields did hire me five years ago to sexually harass people during the Christmas holiday shopping season.)

Jean. said...

I think the fact that the guy who harrassed her works for MnSCU explains quite a bit. Those bastards.

And Matt--I remember getting harassed by you whilst shopping, I believe. I sort of liked it.

Can't you just imagine Matt going up to old ladies and like lifting up their skirts and whistling at them. I'm laughing out loud.

(Shan--we did get harassed in the dressing rooms that one time. Remember when that dumb lady walked in on me?)

C-Lover said...

Wow...I mean really...wow!

I think you "WTF" says it all.

kiki sonik said...

best ever! jhahahahha you just made my day