Monday, October 09, 2006

Happy Columbus Day!

Its Columbus Day. A day we don't really celebrate anymore. I remember when I was a kid we used to get the day off from school. I don't think kids get it off anymore. In fact the only reason I'm writing about Columbus Day is because of something that happened at work.

Like many many retail stores, Macy's has a Columbus Day Sale. Why is that? "Celebrate the accidental discovery of the Western Hemisphere by purchasing crap you don't need! PS we had the same sale last week and will have it again next week only with a different name."

Anyway, it is what it is and many stores have a sale by this name. But yesterday a woman called our store to protest. She and a group of her angry friends were sitting at her home calling various stores to voice their frustration about Columbus Day sales. "Why would you have a sale that celebrates a murderer, rapist, and slave trader? I'm never shopping their again!" The manager calmly explained that the corporate sales staff set up the ad /sale campaigns and we just run them. We didn't come up with it, we're just putting up the signs. I'm sure this lady thought that the St. Paul Macy's had the brilliant idea to have a Columbus Day sale that no other Macy's was having. Cuz in St. Paul we like Italian men who borrow money from the Spanish and Portuguese and accidentally land NEAR America. We like to celebrate that.

After realizing that we wouldn't do anything about her complaint, I assume the woman went on to call Herbergers, Sears, JC Penny's and whomever else is having a Columbus Day Sale. I wish I had that lady's problems!

1 comment:

C-Lover said...

Seriously, do some people have nothing better to do?