Thursday, March 09, 2006

Snapshots: My Job is Shitty

You may recall this from last fall. Well, I'm officially in the middle of tech for Snapshots: Life in the City. We open in 3 days. The good thing is that there is now sheet music. Although I'd like to point out that as of Tuesday, the cast was still learning music. And blocking. And lines. And choreography. I suppose maybe that's typical of musicals, but it makes it different when the cast is made up of 14 people (most under the age of 26) who don't like to show up on time. Its definitely going to be interesting show.

Also, I'm trying really hard not to get sucked into the negativity vortex that is the History Theatre, but I fear it may be too late. I'm starting to get really crabby at work. Here's a few reasons why: I have to fire a gun in the show. An 8mm semi automatic gun that fires blanks. I'm kinda excited about this, but nervous. I've never used a gun before. On top of that, the gun doesn't seem to be working properly. It always jams after one shot....I'm supposed to fire off 7. So I've never been able to do the whole sequence, which is frustrating. Additionally, there is only one person who seems really intent on helping me with this. Being completely understanding and answers all my questions and offers help. Is it the tech director? NO. Is the the stage manager? NO. Is it the props mater? NO. It's the master electrician. Last I checked guns weren't electircal, so it's not his job, but I'm grateful for his help anyway.
Reason #2 for crabbiness: Yesterday my SM asked me if I had paperwork for her. Usually I turn in paperwork on opening day since we're making changes up until then. But she said she just needed to make sure I had it and was doing it. Now some of you may not know about my anal tendencey of updating paperwork every 2 hours during shows. I kinda take pride in the fact that my paperwork is so organized and now my SM needs to check up on me??? This, by the way, is the SM who I have had to call to make sure she was awake for the morning matinees last year. Ok...now that I've ranted, I'm over it.
Well, I'm off to rehearsal. Next time I post the show will be open and perhaps I'll have a list of things I like about it!

No comments: