Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Back to retail for me!

So I haven’t updated this blog in months…though I’m pretty sure no one but Jean reads this. So, this is partially because there certainly have been blog worthy events in the last few months and partially because Jean sent and email asking me to update…

Well, I’m back from the Great River Shakespeare Festival. It was a long summer, but good to be back in Winona. Despite the changing town (new Rascals sign, no one I know at Videoland, new soda shop with delicious drinks…) it was nice to be there for a while. So I came back from Winona, returning to my own bed, free food from mom, Tony Sims, and a stage management job with the Fringe Festival. I started working on Corleone, a Fringe show by David Mann which is billed as the Shakespearean Godfather. The incredibly short rehearsal process was hectic, but now we only have 3 performances left. It’s the most popular show in the fringe so far…we’ve turned away dozens of people each day. Its kinda cool to be working the show in the fringe that is not only the most popular, but has a plastic fish…I like having that on my props list.

The problem is that this low paying fringe job is over on Saturday and my low paying job at the History Theatre doesn’t start until October...so I need a interim job (preferably not as low paying). I just happened to be walking through Marshall Fields and saw a hiring sign….why the hell not. 5 ½ years at Kohl’s didn’t kill me, a few months at Dayton’s (as it will always be to me). So after filling out the ½ hour application and then completing the ½ hour personality survey, I met with the HR manager. I meet with a department manager tomorrow who will find the department that “I will be the best fit for”. Please don’t let it be shoes. I hate feet. Don’t know why, I just do. I’m not sure what the pay will be, but sadly it doesn’t even matter. I need money so bad right now. I’m heading to California in a few weeks and I’m only gonna have about $200. Plus there are loan payments coming up…things are not looking good. Thus, it doesn’t matter how much it pays as long as it’s more than the $2.50 an hour I’m used to making. We’ll find out tomorrow I guess!

Jean and I meet our future selves

Of course one plus about being back home is heading to the MMC each Thursday. Oddly enough, the band took time out of smoking pot and being arrogant to talk to us the first night back. Smokey had his button on and thought it was Karma, Dave told me that he sang Yesterday for me, and Tony called me “mama”. We’ve seen a number of remarkably amazing dancers as always. There is “#14” who it turns out was a woman despite first appearances, “purse humper” who dancing with “toothless”, and then there were “jean and I in 30 years”. Jean and I were sitting at the rail in our usual spots enjoying a delightful Bud Light when I noticed a familiar pair of women on the dance floor. There was a blonde with big hair and a terrible dye job and a brownish red head with even bigger hair and an even worse dye job. We immediately recognized ourselves. Their clothing choices were amazing. Jean was wearing a brownish “suit” (I use the term loosely) with a green shell and black sandals. I was wearing a black shirt, white shorts, nylons and sandals. The real me turned to the real Jean and said;
“In 30 years don’t ever let me wear white shorts to the bar.”
“Only to the bar? I’m not letting you wear white shorts anywhere!”
“But what if I work at a Marina? I could wear them to a marina.”
“Ok, if they’re for work…but you can’t wear them out…like to Taco Bell.”
“Ummm, I’m pretty sure I could wear white shorts to Taco Bell…and to Hardees.”
“Ok, but no where else.”

Thanks Jean….you’re a real friend. I’m glad someone is watching out fro my fashion faux pas in 30 years. So Jean and I got an interesting glimpse into our futures at the MMC. Reason #572 why I love that place.

1 comment:

Jean. said...

I love when you write about Tony Sims, mama. HILARIOUS.

Marshall Fields, huh? I could totally see you working there! You can look really cute for work everyday. Is it the one in Maplewood?

Way to go with the Fringe Festival! I hope David Mann (oooaah)treated you well. Ha! Plastic fish. Please take a picture with the plastic fish.

Yay, Shannon blogged!!!!!